Thursday, April 21, 2011

Because I'm lucky

It doesn’t get much better than this. Sitting on the back porch, eating breakfast, drinking coffee, Tucker (the pooch) curled up at my feet, slight breeze, and serenaded by the birds. Do I have to go back to school? I never realize how much I truly miss home until I come back, and boy did I miss it this time. It’s been a full four months since I’ve been back and it feels like nothing has changed, which I love. Sitting here on the back porch just makes me realize how lucky I am.


I’m lucky, truly, deeply, whole-heartedly lucky. Things are just falling into place for me right now and I couldn’t be happier about it. This past year I have worked so hard and sacrificed some of my relationships for school work or putting extra time into various organizations, and now it’s paying off. This is truly the best feeling I could ever ask for. And the best part is that I wasn’t expecting any of it.

I wasn’t expecting to get into my top choice school, Roehampton University in London, for my fall study abroad experience. I wasn’t expecting to get an ideal internship with the Marketing and Communications Department for UNCW as only a sophomore. I wasn’t expected to get nominated for the “Unsung Hero” student organization leadership awards for Student Ambassadors. I wasn’t expecting for my parents to buy me a car that I would be able to take back to school with me after this weekend. I just wasn’t expecting this, any of it. I’m lucky.

John Lennon once said, “Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.” I’ve always loved this quote because it has always been true. Well now, my life is happening because of the plans I’ve made and worked towards. But none of it ever really would mean anything if it wasn’t for the hard work put in, and the unwavering support of my friends and family. I haven’t been the best daughter, sister or friend because school and work have been so important to me. But I thank you; I thank all of you that have stood by me regardless. My life wouldn’t matter if it wasn’t for the amazing people in it. So while I’m sitting here reflecting on all the good, the parts I’m most proud of in my life are the relationships I’ve made rather than the accomplishments.

So to my friends and family, thank you; truly, deeply, whole-heartedly, thank you.

I love you.

"I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, but for you my heart has no bottom." - Unknown.

<3

Erin.

3 comments:

  1. You're amazing and beautiful and words can't explain how proud I am of you! You have so many wonderful things ahead of you and I can't wait to watch you continue to grow into a fabulous young woman! Love you, ErBear - forever and always <3

    ReplyDelete